Saturday, May 31, 2008

don't laugh too hard

ok - please don't laugh, but i have started working out at the gym. today was my first day. when i got there, cory, a trainer, greeted me with a smile and asked if i was ready. ready? if he only knew. if only he knew how i hate to be hot, how i hate to sweat, how i hate to be hot and sweaty! sure i said, lets go! after 25 minutes of cardio which i didn't even think i would make it through the first 10 min, he walked me through the weight machines i will be using and showed me how each work and why i will be using them. not too bad i thought. not too bad at all, till he announced next we would be working on my core. this didn't sound good. i was starting to get nervous. as he laid on the floor and walked me through all the "core" stuff i was going to be doing, the whole time he was explaining, all i could think about is if he was going to ask me to do this now, in front of him! what if i could only do 5 out of the 30 evil crunches he wanted me to do? what if i could only do 10 of the 30 impossible opposite leg/arm lifts, let alone 3 sets of each. not counting the 3 other "core" exercises i will be doing. what if got down on the ground and couldn't get back up? well, luckily i was able to get up off the ground and he didn't laugh at me once. he was very suppoertive. cory was very professional. he suggested i do 6 workouts per week and take one day off. sounds nice huh? easy for him to say. so, i guess, thats what i am going to try to do. no, thats what i am going to do. positive thinking, right?? so, if you ever see me at the gym, try not to laugh too hard or too loud. you know, so you won't disturb the other worker-outers. believe me, i will be crying, no i mean laughing with you, on the inside.

this is going to be hard. very hard but i am going to do it. i need to do it. for my kids i need to do it. so if anytime this week if you happen to think of me, please say a little prayer. god, give me the strength and the will power to do this. i can't do it with out you.

5 comments:

Rachel Olsen said...

Way to go, Christi ... first you ventured into blogging, and now into the gym!

I worked at a dentist office too, once ... literally once. For one day after college I was a dentist's assistant. After the 5th extraction of the day, the room was spinning, I was sweating and I couldn't hand him any instruments becuase I was squatting down, trying not to pass out! Had to scratch that job off my list of potential careers ... so don't laugh too hard at me.

Smiles ~ Rachel

Plant Lady said...

Christi,
You go girl! I need to do the same.

A few of the ladies at church started a do-it-yourself workout using Richard Simmons videos that lasted about 2 weeks and we then went to an easier workout that was just a walking-in-place video. It lasted another 4 weeks and we gave up! So much for that!

If we could develop the discipline it takes, we might accomplish our goals.

It is difficult for me to find the time to exercise. Although I am very active, it is not structured like it needs to be to be effective.

Welcome to the Blog World,
Plant Lady

Amy said...

hee hee. you're funny. where are you working out at?

Paula V said...

You've got more guts than me...that is for working out in front of a guy who's watching your every move to see if you do it correctly. That would just be so uncomfortable for me. I'd rather have a woman.

Thanks for visiting my blog and for the sweet words.
Paula

Audrey and Company said...

laugh, never! i am so proud of you! i worked out with a trainor 6 months or so before i got pregnant with audrey and it was awesome. i would totally do it again if i had the time and money.